CID (Certified Interconnect Designer - Basic) and CID+ (Advanced)
This professional development program provides objective evaluation of core competencies in PCB design, based upon industry standards rather than specifications of just one company. Courses enhance and assess technical knowledge: how to transform an electrical circuit description into a PCB design that can be manufactured, assembled and tested.
CID (Certified Interconnect Designer-Basic) and CID+ (Advanced) are valuable professional credentials recognised throughout the electronics industry. This technical education holds the most benefit for PCB designers with at least 2 years of hands-on experience. Because Designer Certification builds a foundation in design decision-making and practical application of IPC standards, the program is open to all those with an interest in PCB design.
Please Note: CID certification is required before registration for a CID+ session.
Becoming a CID (Certified Interconnect Designer-basic) or CID+ (advanced)
Both the CID and CID+ Designer Certification programs are offered through the SMCBA and conducted by IPC qualified instructors.
CID and CID+ course structure:
- Independent study of course materials prior to the session by thestudents
- Two days of classroom instruction led by an IPC-qualifiedinstructor
- Exam with 100+ multiple-choice questions — score of 73% or better required forCertification
- Students are expected to be familiar with course materials PRIOR to the class
- Course materials will be sent when registration is confirmed
Designer Certification Registration Fee includes:
- All course materials
- Two days of classroom instruction, led by an IPC-qualified Instructor
- Exam session and individual consultation with Instructor
- Verification of Certified status — Visit There is NO need to purchase any documentsseparately
The two-day classroom instruction portion of the course usually begins at 8:30 am and concludes at 5:00 pm each day, with registration starting at 8:00 am on the first day. Exam is usually administered on the third day concluding by early afternoon.
Cancellations for registrations will not be refunded once materials have been shipped. Students may however postpone taking the workshop and/or exam to a later date.
CID course materials:
- IPC-2221, Standard on Printed BoardDesign
- IPC-2222, Sectional Standard on Rigid Organic PrintedBoards
- IPC-DRM-18, Desktop Reference Manual forComponents
- CID Study Guide, provides the framework for application of IPC standards in design decision- making
CID+ course materials:
- Study guide forCID+
- CID course materials will also bereferenced
If you are a CID interested in undertaking the CID+ please fill in the form below.