TRAINING CONDUCTED TO REVISION F
The J-STD-001 “Requirements for Soldered Electrical and Electronic Assemblies” has emerged as the preeminent authority for electronics assembly manufacturing. The standard describes materials, methods and verification criteria for producing high quality soldered interconnections. The standard emphasizes process control and sets industry-consensus requirements for a broad range of electronic products.
IPC has received hundreds of requests from companies worldwide to support this critical standard with a formal training program that recognizes individuals as qualified instructors and provides them with teaching materials.
Now, IPC has a comprehensive, hands-on solder training and certification program based on J-STD- 001 that gives companies all the tools they need to increase employee skills and performance.
HOW THE CERTIFICATION PROGRAM WORKS
IPC's J-STD-001 Training and Certification Program is built on a train-the-trainer instructional model. A company seeking to create an "IPC J-STD-001 Certified IPC Trainer" sends its candidate to an "IPCApproved J-STD-001 Certification Centre." The training program uses soldering labs and demonstrations as well as classroom instruction to teach the standard criteria.
Candidates who successfully complete the soldering workmanship portions of the course and the certification examination are given the instructional materials needed for training operators. The operator training is "modularized", meaning that training on the entire document is not required. Operators must be trained on the introductory section, and then may be trained (according to needs) on other modules covering: wires and terminals, through hole technology, surface mount technology and inspection.
IPC's J-STD-001 Training and Certification Program provides individuals with a valuable and portable, internationally recognised credential.
Those interested in company-wide quality assurance initiatives for their people have an IPC-sponsored program to support a commitment to continuous operational and product improvement. IPC recognition sends a strong message to customers that your company is serious about quality assurance and continuous process and product improvement.
All IPC J-STD-001 Certified IPC Trainers receive the instructional materials for teaching the Operator Proficiency training course, including:
- Course visuals and instructor guide (soft copies) for conducting Application Specialist (CIS) training
- Open and closed book examinations are now conducted online on the IPC Certification Portal.
- Soft copies of the J-STD-001 and AJ-820A Assembly & Joining Handbook
- Soft copies of Instructor Guide, Survival guide, workmanship forms and training support forms
- IPC certificate of course completion
- Please note: Hard copies of the instructor guide and standards can be purchased from the IPC.
The IPC no longer provides hard copies of the guide in the course kit, it is now a separate item for purchase. Certified IPC Specialist (CIS) materials can be purchased from the IPC. All examinations and certifications are completed online on the IPC Certification Portal. Certified IPC Trainers may teach the course at any location and set a training fee, if applicable.
WHO SHOULD BECOME AN IPC J-STD-001 CERTIFIED IPC TRAINER?
Assembly process engineers, quality assurance supervisors, training managers and others responsible for the quality and reliability of soldered electronic assemblies are excellent candidates for the program.
Any company that uses J-STD-001 or is considering its adoption can use the program to address training requirements for its people.
Prospective Registered Instructors should have experience not only in soldering, but ideally in training as well.
TOPICS COVERED IN THEJ-STD-001 CERTIFIED IPC TRAINER COURSE
- Instructional skills and the roles and responsibilities of Registered Instructors.
- General requirements, such as safety, tools and electrostatic discharge (ESD).
- Wire and terminal assembly requirements, demonstrations and laboratory.
- Through hole technology requirements, demonstrations and laboratory.
- Surface mount technology requirements, demonstrations and laboratory.
- General soldered connection acceptance requirements.
- Machine and reflow soldering process requirements.
- Test methods and related standards.
- Using statistical process control methodologies
The certification term for IPC J-STD-001 Certified IPC Trainers is two years. Re-certification training will be available at IPC Authorised J-STD-001 Training and Certification Centres.
The fee for the J-STD-001 Certified IPC Trainer course includes all materials for the course, lunches and refreshments each day and (after successful completion of the course) the IPC JSTD-001 Registered Instructors Kit.
CIT Course Fee: AU$3,400 excl GST
SMCBA Members Discount: $300
CIS Course Fee: AU$1,500 excl GST
SMCBA Members Discount: $300